Monday, July 7, 2014

"Positive Self Talk" and My Story

Positive self talk is something I've always struggled with. It's something most people struggle with in fact, some more than others. Whether you struggle with body image or self esteem/ self worth issues, it's draining. I spent too many years of my life hating my body, as well as myself. It hurts now, knowing that I wasted so much time hating myself that forgot to enjoy life. I still struggle some days with my body image and the way it see myself in general, however, since devoting myself to a compassionate lifestyle, my self worth has significantly increased. Here's my story. 

In 2012 I entered middle school (I'm going into highschool now). I entered middle school kinda chubby, eating a SAD (standard American diet). However I was healthy for the most part, and I was active. In September-October 2012 an event happened that turned my whole world upside down. I won't go into detail but it through me into a downward spiral. I ate minuscule amouts (rarely healthy) and I would workout for up to 4 hours a day. There were days I would only eat popcorn with spray butter. However my body could only take so much abuse. In January 2013 I became vegan after watching the documentary vegucated. Soon after this my starvation and over exercising caught up with me. I started over eating and I couldn't stop. It was scary, I gained back all 25 lbs I had lost and I hated myself for it. (I was 100% vegan this whole time).  I now realize why this happened to me, I deprived my body for so long and eventually my body couldn't take any more abuse. I stopped binging in November of 2013 when I began a raw till four lifestyle. I am now 8 months binge free. I honestly never thought I'd make it out of the disorder I was pulled into. Here's my tips on how to love yourself. 

•Realize that your body is your home and your body carrys you and keeps you on your feet and to abuse yourself by depriving your body, also deprives you of living. 

•Eat a balance of foods that nourish your body and foods that nourish your soul (yes, I mean foods that are usually considered unhealthy)

•Don't be afraid to get up and move. Something as simple as a walk can increase your mood and make you feel better about yourself.

•Avoid body checking. It's hard I know, especially for me, but you'll find stepping away from the mirror and just appreciating how much your body does for you is a big step in the fight against negative self talk. 

And last but not least,

•Take a moment everyday and realize that you're not alone in this fight. People all over are fighting this battle right alongside you. Reach out and talk to people, that's including me. My email is riley.in.the.raw@gmail.com and my kik is riley_loves_21 if you ever needs to talk. 

Never forget that at the end of the day, you can't love anything else, if you can't love yourself. 

Much love,
Riley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment